Get Babylon's Translation Software Free Download Now!
Copy the following code and paste it on your webpage:
pain, sensation of physical discomfort (often due to illness or injury); emotional suffering or distress; someone or something that is irritating or problematic; penalty
rock, boulder; clique, social
penalize, punish, give a penalty
woe ; distress ; grief ; regret ; grieving ; woefulness ; heartache ; misery ; sorrow ; sadness ; hurt.
Ex: 'The word's out: all departments have to cut their staffs by 10%' -- Her voice was weak and laden with woe.
Ex: The reason for his distress seemed to have been twofold: he derived comfort from reading the roll and he would have found it very embarassing to admit at the end of his journey that he had lost it.
Ex: This paper discusses the ways in which books may be used to help bereaved children to understand death and other aspects of grief.
Ex: Spalding's regret is quite understandable, for few of those seeking to identify particular editions in the catalog will fail to be confused by the results of this decision.
Ex: The article 'Words of comfort: resources for the living and dying' reviews books on death and grieving for purposes of collection development in the area.
Ex: In presenting this story, Amenabar has managed to avoid both saccharine sentimentality and easy woefulness.
Ex: Lovelorn staff at a Japanese company can take paid time off after an upsetting break-up with a partner, with more 'heartache leave' offered as they get older.
Ex: Perhaps Jane Austen was aware of this, for having stated the fact of the elopement briefly, she says airily: 'Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery, I quit such odious subjects as soon as I can'.
Ex: In an authority list, the terms, whether descriptors or non-descriptors, may be single words (e.g., Hosiery, Journalism, Lingerie), or phrases of two or three words (e.g., Electric meters, Electric power plants, Joy and sorrow).
Ex: Suddenly she was consumed by a feeling of sadness.
Ex: I sent her a message explaining my hurt towards this and I didn't like it, it felt like a kick in the face to me.
* a duras penas = with great difficulty ; at a push.
* ahogar + Posesivo + penas = drown + Posesivo + sorrows.
* alegrías y penas = pleasures and pains.
* alma en pena = banshee.
* arreglárselas a duras penas = muddle through.
* avanzar a duras penas = flounder ; grind on.
* causar pena = cause + hurt.
* chillar como alma en pena = scream like + a banshee ; wail like + a banshee.
* contarle las penas a Alguien = sob + Posesivo + heart out to.
* dar pena = pain.
* dar pena de = feel + bad for.
* de puta pena = appalling ; deplorable ; awful.
* en pena = in grief.
* ganarse la vida a duras penas = eke out + a living ; scratch (out) + a living ; scrape + a living ; eke out + an existence.
* gemir como alma en pena = wail like + a banshee.
* gritar como alma en pena = scream like + a banshee ; wail like + a banshee.
* merecer la pena = be worthwhile ; be worth + Posesivo + time ; be worth it.
* merecer la pena considerar más detalladamente = repay + full consideration.
* merecer la pena el esfuerzo = be worth + Posesivo + effort ; repay + Posesivo + effort.
* merecer la pena estudiar Algo = repay + study.
* merecer la pena + Infinitivo = be worth + Gerundio ; be worthy of + Gerundio ; it + be + worth + Gerundio.
* merecer la pena intentarlo = be worth + a try ; be worth + a shot.
* merecer la pena probarlo = be worth + a shot ; be worth + a try.
* merecerle la pena a Uno = be worth + Posesivo + while.
* morir de pena = die of + a broken heart.
* no merecer la pena = be no good.
* no valer la pena = be no good.
* parecer + merecer la pena + Infinitivo = seem + worth + Gerundio.
* pena de amores = broken heart ; heartbreak ; heartache.
* que merece la pena = worthwhile.
* que vale la pena = worthwhile.
* salir adelante a duras penas = eke out + a living ; scratch (out) + a living ; scrape + a living ; eke out + an existence.
* sentir pena por = feel + sorry for ; feel + bad for.
* valer la pena = be not for nothing ; be worth it ; be worthwhile ; be worth + Posesivo + time.
* valer la pena el esfuerzo = be worth + Posesivo + effort ; repay + Posesivo + effort.
* valer la pena intentarlo = be worth + a shot ; be worth + a try.
* valer la pena leer Algo = repay + reading.
* valer la pena probarlo = be worth + a shot ; be worth + a try.
* valerle la pena a Uno = be worth + Posesivo + while.
* vivir a duras penas = live on + a prayer.
(n.) = criminalisation [criminalization, -USA].
Ex: In our opinion, it is more relevant to focus on the Cuban government's criminalization of the unauthorized ownership of computers and its effective banning of the World Wide Web.
* condenar a la pena de muerte = sentence + Nombre + to death ; condemn + Nombre + to death.
* cumplir una pena de cárcel = serve + time ; serve + Posesivo + sentence ; do + time.
* pena capital = capital punishment.
* pena de cárcel = prison sentence ; prison term ; jail sentence ; jail term ; gaol sentence ; gaol term.
* pena de muerte = death row.
* pena de muerte, la = death penalty, the.
* pena de prisión = custodial sentence ; jail sentence ; prison sentence ; prison term ; jail term ; gaol sentence ; gaol term.
* sentenciar a la pena de muerte = sentence + Nombre + to death ; condemn + Nombre + to death.
(v.) = penalise [penalize, -USA] ; atone (for).
Ex: The author contends that this unfairly penalises any institution with limited finances, and contravenes the tradition of cooperation among Swiss libraries.
Ex: It is necessary to rectify the misuses of the past, atone for the mistakes of the present, and ensure the well-being of future generations.
(n.) = boulder.
Nota: De tamaño grande.
Ex: The moraine included 'particle' sizes varying from boulders down to fine silt.
(n.) = club.
Ex: The sharing of expertise through membership of a club of existing users can be valuable.
* peña ciclista = cycling club.
* peña de fútbol = Sunday football team.
Translate the Spanish term PENA to other languages