Dravidian language spoken by the Tamil people
member of a Dravidian people living in Sri Lanka and India
The principal member of the non-Aryan races in Southern India, generally termed Dravidian, and regarded as aboriginal. Because of intermixture with early Aryan immigrants, they are very similar to the Indo-European type. The Tamil language is the principal one of the Dravidian group spoken in Southern India: it is not akin to Sanskrit and instead of the Devanagari uses a Brahmanical adaptation of the Grantha letters (corresponding to the Vatteluttu or round-hand letters) -- an alphabet once common throughout the Pandyan kingdom. At one time Tamil was classed with the Mongoloid races because of the close affinity of their languages. Blavatsky suggests, however, that as the language is said to be akin to the Basque in Spain, this points to a similar origin from offshoots of Atlantean settlements in the Pacific (SD 2:790).
\ta"mil\ (?), a. of or pertaining to the tamils, or to their language. [written also tamul.]tamil
\ta"mil\, n. [written also tamul.] 1.
(ethnol.) one of a dravidian race of men native of northern ceylon and southern india. 2.
the tamil language, the most important of the dravidian languages. see dravidian, a.tamil
adj : of or relating to a speaker of the tamil language or the language itself; "the tamil tigers are fighting the sinhalese in sri lanka"; "tamil agglutinative phrases" [syn: tamil]
a member of the mixed dravidian and caucasoid people of southern india and sri lanka [syn: tamil] 2.
the dravidian language spoken since prehistoric times by the tamil people in southern india and sri lanka [syn: tamil]
may refer to:
- Tamil language, one of the Dravidian languages primarily spoken in India, Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia.
- Tamil script, primarily used to write the Tamil language
- Tamil (Unicode block), a block of Tamil characters in Unicode
- Tamil people, an ethnic group native to Tamil Nadu,India and Sri Lanka
- Sri Lankan Tamil people, those Tamil people native to Sri Lanka
|See more at Wikipedia.org...|
Tamil is a Dravidian language spoken in northern Sri Lanka through the Madras region of India.
The language is: Tamil
1. a member of the mixed Dravidian and Caucasoid people of southern India and Sri Lanka
2. the Dravidian language spoken since prehistoric times by the Tamil people in southern India and Sri Lanka
(hypernym) South DravidianAdjective
1. of or relating to a speaker of the Tamil language or the language itself; "the Tamil Tigers are fighting the Sinhalese in Sri Lanka"; "Tamil agglutinative phrases"
- Static variable in class java.lang.Character.UnicodeBlock
public static final Character.UnicodeBlock TAMIL
Constant for the Unicode character block of the same name.
The Tamil language, the most important of the Dravidian languages. See Dravidian, a.
One of a Dravidian race of men native of Northern Ceylon and Southern India.
Of or pertaining to the Tamils, or to their language.
Translate the English term Tamil to other languages